Responsible for the recruitment of volunteers for the Meals on Wheels program, proper flow of office procedures, and supporting the Manager and Meals on Wheels Program Coordinator in carrying out administrative office duties.
Office Administrative Assistant
New Dawn Better Bite Food Centre Administrative Assistant/Volunteer Coordinator
37 Nepean St, Sydney
Manager, A Better Bite Community Kitchen
Part-time (20 hours/week) @ $17/hour for a 1-year contract
New Dawn Enterprises offers a comprehensive package of compensation and benefits.
DEADLINE TO APPLY
Please submit your cover letter and resume by Friday, December 27th
HOW TO APPLY
New Dawn Enterprises
Attn: Manager, A Better Bite Community Kitchen
PO Box 1055 Sydney, NS B1P 6J7
Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Better Bite Food Centre is committed to creating a space around food and nutrition, and to build a community which fosters a culture of healthy food consumption and education. Within this division of New Dawn Enterprises: a growing Meals on Wheels program, nutrition education and training, as well as revenue-generating activities such as catering and a Better Bite Café. The Better Bite Food Centre Administrative Assistant/Volunteer Coordinator will be responsible for the recruitment of volunteers for the Meals on Wheels program as well as for proper flow of office procedures and will support the Manager and Meals on Wheels Program Coordinator in carrying out administrative office duties.
- Work with the Meals on Wheels Program Coordinator to develop and implement a volunteer recruitment strategy to support the functions of the Meals on Wheels program (i.e. delivery drives and helpers, kitchen support etc).
- Assist the Program Manager by providing formatting and revisions to all policies and procedures related to programming, menu development, grant writing and reporting, café and catering documents.
- Maintain the confidentiality of volunteers, clients and organizational proprietary information by aiding in the development, instituting, and monitoring policies to protect the privacy and rights of those entities.
- Work with the New Dawn Marketing Coordinator to assist marketing efforts to recruit new clients and volunteers, market the Community Kitchen services as well as promote the programming offered through the Better Bite.
- Act as interim Meals on Wheels Program Coordinator for Meals on Wheels in staff absences when necessary.
- Assist the Meals on Wheels Program Coordinator in select client recruitment and retention strategies, as well as tasks that pertain to accounts receivable and invoicing for MOW Clients.
- Assist the Program Manager with rental agreements for kitchen facilities including policy development, fees and scheduling.
- Assist the Program Manager with administrative duties such as developing expense reports, organizing logistics of program/participants, data entry of surveys etc.
- Update job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; and participating in professional development.
- Always maintain professionalism, tact, diplomacy, and sensitivity to portray the company in a positive manner.
- Respond to the needs of others through effective communication, mutual respect, and consistent follow-through in order to generate trust and enhance personal effectiveness.
- Constantly look for improvements and help implement solutions.
- Promote the mission and values of the organization both internally and externally, as well as adhere to value and mission statements.
- Other duties as assigned by the Better Bite Food Centre Manager.
- Customer Focus/Client Focus
- Team Work
- Passion for healthy food and communities
- Problem Solving
- Accountability and Dependability
- Attention to Detail
- Time Management
- Students and Interns (fluctuates)
- Post-secondary education in business, marketing, office administration or 5-year experience;
- Experience in grant writing is an asset;
- Experience in volunteer recruitment and retention;
- Compassion, empathy and experience working with and advocating for seniors
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Superior telephone manners and strong interpersonal skills
- Must be able to work effectively with others and have good interpersonal skills.
- Must be highly organized and work well under pressure.
- Must be able to work independently, as well as under supervision.
- Must be willing to adhere to the principles of confidentiality and to comply with all mandated training and ethical guidelines.
- Able to maintain filing systems and databases
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Work in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to attend and conduct presentations.
- Manual dexterity required to use desktop computer and peripherals.
- Overtime as required.
ABOUT NEW DAWN ENTERPRISES
New Dawn Enterprises Limited is the oldest Community Development Corporation in Canada. New Dawn is a private, volunteer-directed social enterprise dedicated to community building. It seeks to identify community needs and to establish and operate ventures that speak to those needs. Its mission is to engage the community to create and support a culture of self-reliance. Its vision is a self-reliant people living in a vibrant community. New Dawn articulates this mission through a number of businesses, organizations, and partnerships.
Among its businesses and activities are New Dawn Health Care, New Dawn Real Estate, New Dawn Community Engagement and Education, New Dawn Meals on Wheels, the Cape Breton Island Centre for Immigration, and the New Dawn Centre for Social Innovation.