Location: Sydney, Nova Scotia
Start Date: Monday January 18, 2016
As an ever-growing and evolving organization, new communications opportunities for New Dawn as a whole and for particular divisions within the organization emerge regularly. We are looking for an efficient, detailed-oriented individual with good written and oral communications skills to assist us with day-to-day communications tasks.
In May of 2013, New Dawn Enterprises purchased the former Holy Angels Convent and High School in the Northend of Sydney. The High School now serves as the New Dawn Centre for Social Innovation and the Convent is in the early stages of transition to a Centre for Arts and Culture.
We are currently looking for an enthusiastic, committed, organized individual who can help us to create a unique and dynamic culture and sense of community within the New Dawn Centre for Social Innovation - both among tenants and between tenants and the community.
Duties and Responsibilities: This position is comprised of two separate areas of responsibility: New Dawn Enterprises Communications and New Dawn Centre for Social Innovation Animation. Some of the tasks involved in each include:
Communications (reporting to New Dawn Director of Communications):
- Assist Director of Communication and division mangers in the planning and implementation of division’s annual communications/marketing strategies;
- Assist in the implementation and evaluation of an internal communications strategy;
- Maintain and/or assist division managers in the maintenance of the organizations social media sites (Facebook, Twitter, Go Cape Breton);
- Assist with website maintenance (page updates, increasing use and functionality of site overtime);
- Assist in the planning and promotion of various New Dawn events;
- Assist in the execution of the annual CEDIF communications/outreach campaign;
- Assist in various divisions fundraising efforts; and
- Coordinate and draft quarterly newsletter.
New Dawn Centre for Social Innovation Animation (reporting to NDCSI Facilities and Business Manager)
- Foster culture, connections, vibrancy, and energy of building/project;
- Research events/philosophy of similar projects and develop NDCSI animation plan;
- Connect tenants electronically and maintain/encourage/nurture this electronic communication;
- Assist with event promotion and awareness among tenants;
- Organize and host bi-monthly salad club or similar lunch gatherings for tenants;
- With tenant input, plan an annual public open house event and gathering;
- Seek out other innovative ways we can support/enhance activities of tenants;
- Lead creation of a tenant charter and handbook;
- Keep NDCSI events up-to-date on website; and
- Alongside NDCSI Business and Facilities Manager, help welcome and orient new tenants in the building.
- Trustworthiness & Ethics
- Results orientation
- Well-developed interpersonal and communications (oral and written) skills
- Self-motivated and able to work semi-independently
- Able to plan within and report on project budgets
- Experience and/or comfort with community engagement and fundraising
- Highly organized, able to plan and execute major projects simultaneously
- Communications degree and/or experience
- Outreach/engagement experience
- Events coordination experience
- Basic web design/social media experience/expertise
This position will offer an opportunity to work within a large and diverse social enterprise. It will offer the opportunity to work semi-independently to co-design and execute projects from start to finish. It will offer the opportunity to meet and liaise with members of the non-for-profit and for-profit and communities.
About New Dawn New Dawn Enterprises Limited is a private, volunteer-directed social enterprise dedicated to community building. It seeks to identify community needs and to establish and operate ventures that speak to those needs. Incorporated in in 1976, it is the oldest Community Development Corporation in Canada.
New Dawn’s work in the community is guided by its mission and vision. Its mission is to engage the community to create and support a culture of self-reliance. Its vision is a self-reliant people living in a vibrant community.
Today New Dawn is home to a Homecare business, Guest Home, Meals on Wheels program, Centre for Social Innovation, Community Engagement division, Rental Properties business, and local investment portfolio.
- Willingness to work evenings and weekends as needed
- Willingness to travel as needed
Salary $35,000-$39,000 per year
To Apply: Please send cover letter and resume:
By E-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Or by Mail to:
New Dawn Enterprises
37 Nepean Street
Sydney, NS B1P 6A7
Application deadline: 4:30pm on Tuesday January 5, 2016