The Better Bite Cafe Counter Attendant/Prep Cook works under the direct supervision of the Better Bite Cafe Supervisor and will have a wide array of duties related to serving guests, preparing meal and drink orders, cleaning and sanitization, as well as assisting in the prepping and stocking of necessary ingredients for the Cafe menu.
37 Nepean St, Sydney
Manager, Better Bite Community Kitchen
Casual Hours at $15.50/hour
The Counter Attendant/Prep Cook is a casual position and candidates must be available to work during Cafe hours of operation which include Monday to Friday, 8 am to 8 pm, although this position may be required to work outside of that timeframe.
The Counter Attendant/Prep Cook will work as part of a team to provide an excellent guest experience at the Better Bite Cafe. The Counter Attendant/Prep Cook will adhere to all policies and regulations for safety, hygiene, and facility food preparation guidelines. As with all positions within Better Bite Community Kitchen / New Dawn Meals on Wheels, there may be instances where the Counter Attendant/Prep Cook may be asked for assistance with Meals on Wheels delivery.
- Greet customers, answer questions, accept food/drink orders using the Cafe’s POS (Point of Sale) system, prepare meal/drink orders, and serve customers.
- Food prep and basic chopping and peeling tasks to support menu recipes.
- Prepare and serve all menu items according to Cafe policies and procedures.
- Prepare soups, stocks and sauces.
- Demonstrate flexibility and fill in available shifts as required by staff.
- Ensure quality and safety of food preparation by performing standard and any additional sanitary measures including sweeping of floors, dishwashing, cleaning and sanitizing surfaces, proper covering and storage of food items according to standards and procedures.
- Multi-task, work at an efficient and consistent pace, and prepare for future Cafe menu needs.
- Log all temperatures and record all cleaning duties as per Cafe standard operating procedures.
- Demonstrate ability to follow instructions and willingness to take on new responsibilities and tasks.
- Contact Cafe Supervisor if a situation arises that requires approval.
- Adhere to all regulations including blood-borne pathogens, infection control, use of hazardous materials, and fire safety.
- Notify Cafe Supervisor when supplies are low to ensure that all food and other departmental supplies are ordered and received in a timely manner so that adequate inventory levels are maintained to support volume or anticipated volume.
- Report any infraction in the food services department policies and procedures.
- Arrive to work at the scheduled time.
- Participate actively in problem-solving and decision making, and supports decisions made by the team.
- Adhere to all Occupational Health and Safety requirements.
- Always maintain professionalism, tact, diplomacy, and sensitivity to portray the company in a positive manner. Contribute to building a positive team spirit.
- Respond to the needs of others through effective communication, mutual respect, and consistent follow-through in order to generate trust and enhance personal effectiveness.
- Promote the mission and values of the organization both internally and externally, as well as oversee the adherence to values and mission.
- Delivery of Meals on Wheels meals, if required.
- Other duties as assigned by the Café Supervisor.
- Customer Focus.
- Energy & Stress Management.
- Quality Orientation.
- Accountability and Dependability.
- Operating Equipment.
- Ethics and Integrity.
- Minimum of one-year culinary experience required.
- Food Safety training and First Aid training are both required.
- Clear criminal background check required.
- Knowledge of methods and procedures for serving food, principles of sanitation, and principles of safe food handling required.
- Must be free of diseases that may be transmitted in the performance of job responsibilities.
- Ability to lift up to 50lb required.
- Effective communication skills.
- Highly flexible, with solid interpersonal skills that allow one to work effectively in a diverse and team-focused working environment.
- Attention to detail in all areas of work.
- Superior time management skills, multitasking skills, work ethic, and the ability to prioritize tasks with minimal supervision.
- Strong problem identification and problem resolution skills.
- Work in a fast-paced environment.
- This position requires the employee to occasionally stoop, kneel, crouch and/or crawl.
- This position requires the employee to frequently lift and/or carry up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and move up to 50 pounds.
- This position requires the employee to bend, lift, and reach repeatedly.
- Overtime as required.
- May be exposed to infectious waste, diseases, conditions, etc., including exposure to the AIDS and hepatitis B viruses.
- Manual dexterity required to use desktop computer and peripherals.
DEADLINE TO APPLY
Please submit your cover letter and resume by Friday, August 21st at 4 pm to:
Better Bite Community Kitchen
P.O. Box 1055, Sydney
Nova Scotia B1P 6J7
or by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
ABOUT NEW DAWN ENTERPRISES
New Dawn Enterprises Ltd. is the oldest Community Development Corporation in Canada. New Dawn is a private, volunteer-directed social enterprise dedicated to community building. We seek to identify community needs and to establish and operate ventures that speak to those needs. Our mission is to engage the community to create and support a culture of self-reliance. Our vision is a self-reliant people living in a vibrant community.
New Dawn articulates this mission through a number of businesses, organizations, and partnerships. Among New Dawn's businesses and activities are New Dawn Health Care, New Dawn Real Estate, The Convent Arts and Culture Centre, New Dawn Community Engagement & Education, New Dawn Meals on Wheels/Better Bite Community Kitchen and Cafe, the Cape Breton Island Centre for Immigration (CBICI), and the New Dawn Centre for Social Innovation.