Data Processing Specialist required to assist in development of the Web-based community data portal.
The New Dawn Community Development Educational Foundation is a division of New Dawn Enterprises. Its mandate is to create educational opportunities related to community and economic development in Cape Breton Island.
The Foundation is in the process of building a Web-based community data portal for the island. The portal will make local data on a wide range of topics (e.g., population, poverty, housing, health) and geographic areas (e.g., communities, counties) easily available to residents, community organizations, businesses and government agencies. A Data Processing Specialist is required to assist in development of the portal.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Working with direction and support from the project manager and a team of project partners, the Data Processing Specialist will:
- Help identify and access relevant data.
- Prepare Excel sheets for uploading data to the portal.
- Use the portal’s data management software to upload data.
- Prepare a description of each data indicator and add it to the website, including how the indicator is defined, why it is important and the source of the data.
- Share ideas with other team members about the ongoing design, planning and development of the portal to make it as user-friendly, attractive and relevant to the needs of potential users as possible.
This position is funded through the Canada Summer Jobs Program. Eligible applicants must be between 15 and 30 years of age and be legally entitled to work in Canada. International students are not eligible.
- Completion of at least one year of post-secondary education.
- Proficiency in Excel and other data management software, including for data manipulation and data analysis.
- Familiarity with census data and GIS an asset.
- Excellent writing skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to meet timelines.
- Ability to work independently, but as part of a team.
- Eight weeks; 35 hours per week
- $20 per hour
To apply, please e-mail cover letter and resumé to Eric Leviten-Reid, Facilitator, Community Engagement and Collaboration, New Dawn Enterprises at firstname.lastname@example.org.