Job Title: Event and Engagement Coordinator, New Dawn Enterprises
Location: New Dawn Centre for Social Innovation, 37 Nepean Street
Reports To: Manager, Cape Breton Island Centre for Immigration
Details: Temporary, Full Time (3 month contract position)
As an ever-growing and evolving organization, new opportunities for the New Dawn as a whole, and for particular divisions within the organization, emerge regularly.
The Event and Engagement Coordinator works with staff and clients of the Cape Breton Island Centre for Immigration, community members in CBRM, and students and staff at Cape Breton University in the execution of an annual Multicultural Festival in the CBRM.
Reporting to the Manager of the Cape Breton Island Centre for Immigration, the Event Coordinator is responsible for the design and delivery of the Festival.
Assemble and Coordinate Community Planning Committee:
- Assemble a community planning committee for the Festival that includes: at least two CBU international students, at least one CBU liaison (staff person/faculty), at least two newcomers to the CBRM, at least one staff person of the Cape Breton Island Centre for Immigration, and at least one staff person/councillor of the CBRM;
- Coordinate the meeting schedule and agenda of the Community Planning Committee as they provide insight into/guidance on the structure and content of the Festival;
- Research Multicultural Festivals, and their development, in other jurisdictions, and present this material to Committee to aide in Festival planning.
- Coordinate Festival agenda and logistics:
- With input from the Community Planning Committee, finalize structure and content of Festival;
- Liaise with all international-owned businesses in CBRM, soliciting their participation;
- Identify and secure food vendors, art vendors, performers, speakers, child care, etc.
- Identify, secure, and coordinate set-up and tear-down of festival venue;
Secure Festival Sponsorship
- Working with New Dawn's Campaign Officer secure private sector sponsorship for the Festival
- Design appropriate methods for recognizing, thanking, and displaying sponsors at Festival and in promotional materials
Festival Communications and Advertising
- Design and execute traditional media and social media advertising for Festival
- Coordinate and execute earned media opportunities with local media in lead-up to Festival
- Work with New Dawn communications staff on format, strategy, and contact lists
- Act as point person for Festival set-up and execution
- Assemble festival day team of New Dawn staff and community volunteers
- Coordinate staff, volunteers, vendors, decorators, etc. on the day of the festival
- Respond to media inquiries on the day of the festival
- Debrief Festival with Planning Committee and identify highlights and areas for improvement
- Design and deliver Festival participant and Festival vendor experience survey to gather feedback
- Compile report on highlights, areas for improvement, and vendor and participant feedback
- Deliver report to funders, Manager, CBICI, and VP Development, New Dawn
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Trustworthiness & Ethics
- Results orientation
- Self-motivated and able to work semi-independently
- Able to plan within and report on project budget
- Well-developed interpersonal and communications (oral and written) skills
- Experience and/or comfort with community engagement and conversation
- Highly organized, able to plan and execute multiple projects simultaneously
- Post-secondary degree/diploma and or experience
- Outreach/engagement experience
- Events coordination experience
- Communications/social media experience
- Long periods of sitting/concentrating
- Maybe be required, from time-to-time to assist with event set-up (moderate lifting/moving)
- Willingness to work evenings and weekends as needed
- Willingness to travel as needed
Salary: $26/hour for 35 hours/week. This is a three-month full-time funded position. The position is anticipated to start on August 1st and terminate on October 31st. The successful applicant will work in the Cape Breton Island Centre for Immigration located in the New Dawn Centre for Social Innovation.
About New Dawn Enterprises
New Dawn Enterprises Limited is the oldest Community Development Corporation in Canada. New Dawn is a private, volunteer-directed social enterprise dedicated to community building. It seeks to identify community needs and to establish and operate ventures that speak to those needs. Its mission is to engage the community to create and support a culture of self-reliance. Its vision is a self-reliant people living in a vibrant community. New Dawn articulates this mission through a number of businesses, organizations, and partnerships.
Among its businesses and activities are New Dawn Health Care, New Dawn Real Estate, New Dawn Community Engagement and Education, New Dawn Meals on Wheels, the Cape Breton Island Centre for Immigration, and the New Dawn Centre for Social Innovation.
Applications: Please submit applications to Sohaila Abdo, Manager, Cape Breton Island Centre for Immigration via e-mail: email@example.com by 4:00pm on Friday July 20th.