Start Date: Monday February 5, 2018
Location: Sydney, Nova Scotia
As an ever-growing and evolving organization, new communications opportunities for the New Dawn as a whole and for particular divisions within the organization emerge regularly. We are looking for an efficient, detailed-oriented individual with good written and oral communications skills.
In May of 2013, New Dawn Enterprises purchased the former Holy Angels Convent and High School in the Northend of Sydney. The High School now serves as the New Dawn Centre for Social Innovation and the Convent is in the early stages of transition to a Centre for Arts and Culture.
We are currently looking for an enthusiastic, committed, organized individual who can help us to create a unique and dynamic culture and sense of community within the New Dawn Centre for Social Innovation - both among tenants and between tenants and the community.
Duties and Responsibilities
Communications (reporting to VP Development)
- Assist in the planning and implementation of annual communications and marketing strategies
- Assist in the implementation and evaluation of internal communications strategies and events
- Provide ongoing marketing and communications support for various New Dawn divisions
- Maintain and/or assist division managers in the maintenance of the social media sites
- Maintain/update New Dawn website (page updates, increasing use of site overtime)
- Assist in the planning and promotion of various New Dawn events
- Coordinate and draft quarterly print and online newsletter
- Oversee Cape Breton Women’s Gallery
- Oversee various private donor funds
- Deliver new staff orientations
NDCSI Animation (reporting to NDCSI Manager of Facilities and Business Development)
- Foster culture, connections, vibrancy, and energy of building/project
- Research events/philosophy of similar projects and develop NDCSI animation plan
- Connect tenants electronically and maintain/encourage/nurture this electronic communication
- Assist with New Dawn and tenant event promotion and awareness among tenants
- Organize and host bi-monthly gatherings and/or workshops for tenants
- With tenant input, plan annual public open house event and gathering
- Seek out other innovative ways we can support/enhance activities of tenants
- Assist as needed with event bookings, set-up, facilitation, and tear-down
- Lead creation of a tenant charter and handbook
- Welcome and orient new tenants in the building
- Trustworthiness & Ethics
- Results orientation
- Well-developed interpersonal and communications (oral and written) skills
- Self-motivated and able to work semi-independently
- Able to plan within and report on project budget s
- Experience and/or comfort with community engagement and fundraising
- Highly organized, able to plan and execute major projects simultaneously
- Communications degree and/or experience
- Outreach/engagement experience
- Events coordination experience
- Basic web design/social media experience/expertise
This position will offer an opportunity to work within a large and diverse social enterprise. It will offer the opportunity to work semi-independently to co-design and co-execute projects from start to finish. It will offer the opportunity to meet and liaise with members of the non-for-profit, for-profit and education communities.
About New Dawn New Dawn Enterprises Limited is a private, volunteer-directed social enterprise dedicated to community building. It seeks to identify community needs and to establish and operate ventures that speak to those needs. Incorporated in in 1976, it is the oldest Community Development Corporation in Canada.
New Dawn’s work in the community is guided by its mission and vision. Its mission is to engage the community to create and support a culture of self-reliance. Its vision is a self-reliant people living in a vibrant community.
Today New Dawn is home to New Dawn Homecare, New Dawn Meals on Wheels, Better Bite Community Kitchen, New Dawn Real Estate, Community Engagement, Cape Breton Island Centre for Immigration, and the New Dawn Centre for Social Innovation.
- Willingness to work evenings and weekends as needed
- Willingness to travel as needed
Salary $24.66 per hour for 35 hours per week
Application deadline: Friday January 26, 2017
Please send resume and cover letter to:
Attention: Douglas MacLennan
37 Nepean Street