New Dawn Homecare was honoured last week at the Mainstay Awards ceremony with two awards recognizing the efforts made by the company and its Director on issue of workplace and employee safety.
Launched in 2008, the Mainstay Awards program is sponsored by Worker's Compensation Board of Nova Scotia and the Department of Labour and Advanced Education. The Awards honour employers and individuals who have demonstrated strong commitment and significant contribution to building a strong culture of workplace safety in Nova Scotia.
New Dawn Homecare was recognized with the Employer Safety Champion Award, and its Director, Sabrina Vatcher, with the Individual Safety Champion Award. New Dawn Homecare was the only Cape Breton company to be included in this year's recipients.
"We were really proud to be selected as recipients of these awards," says Vatcher. "Creating safe workplaces and an awareness of safety rights and responsibilities has become a whole-company effort. With so many of our staff working in different homes in the community, employee and client safety has to be a top priority. Everyone who works with us has really stepped up to play an important role in these efforts."
The Employer Safety Champion Award recognizes an employer who has demonstrated an exemplary health and safety program and proven injury prevention track record in their workplace. This includes a successful occupational health and safety program that demonstrates that all elements function according to fundamental rules, and that analysis can be completed with a consistent auditing approach.
The Individual Safety Champion Award is awarded to an individual whose contribution has made an exceptional difference to health and safety in the workplace.
"For us safety isn't something that is secondary to our work. Ensuring safe workplaces and a broad and deep awareness of safety and its importance is part of our business model. It is part of the well-being of all of those who work for us and of our clients," says Vatcher.
Other 2016 recipients include:
• NS Transportation and Infrastructure Renewal - Safety Award of Excellence, Organization
• Paul Midgley, Lindsay Construction - Safety Award of Excellence, Individual
• Oxford Frozen Foods Limited - Safety Transformation
• Journeyman Film Company - Special Award for Small Business
• Barry Bowman, Oxford Frozen Foods Limited - Individual Safety Champion, Central/North Shore Region
• Joe LeBlanc, Commissionaires Nova Scotia - Individual Safety Champion, HRM Region
• EllisDon Corporation - Employer Safety Champion, HRM Region
• Nova Scotia Power - Employer Return to Work Champion
• Jessica King, Delta Barrington - Health and Safety Educator
To learn more, visit MainstayAwards.ca