New Dawn Homecare is currently seeking caring and compassionate Licensed Practical Nurses (LPNs) to provide nursing care in both client homes and care facility settings. This position offers an opportunity to provide consistent care with clients on a one-on-one basis.
- Part- and full-time hours available, providing one-on-one patient care in homes and care facility settings.
- Cape Breton Regional Municipality
- 24–48 hours/week
Duties and Responsibilities:
Reporting to the Manager of New Dawn Homecare, and under the supervision of the Nurse Care Coordinator, you will be responsible for providing client-centred nursing and personal care that allows clients to continue to live in their homes, and in care facility settings within the community.
The Licensed Practical Nurse is responsible for coordinating with health practitioners and healthcare professionals regarding home and facility-based clients, assessing client needs and keeping proper documentation of client care. They also assist clients with their activities of daily living such as medication administration, personal care, mobility and ambulation assistance. They ensure that all care is provided in a caring and respectful way in keeping with all relevant New Dawn Homecare and legislative policies and procedures.
Additional responsibilities include:
- Utilize nursing knowledge and skills implementing basic preventative therapeutic and rehabilitative nursing care of assigned clients.
- Perform delegated independent nursing functions using established procedures, policies, guidelines, and standards.
- Administer medication accurately, observing client response, as evidenced by documentation in the medical record.
- Accurate charting of medication administration.
- Taking vital signs such as blood pressure, weight and temperature.
- Basic wound care including cleaning and bandaging injured areas.
- Bowel care.
- Monitoring fluid and food intake and output.
- Assist clients with activities of daily living including showering, bathing and bed washes.
- Assist client with oral hygiene, brushing teeth, and cleaning of dentures.
- Assist with dressing and grooming of clients.
- Observation of basic skin integrity & reporting skin condition to the Nurse Care Coordinator.
- Facial shaves of male clients, and hair care
- Client-centred focus.
- Work Independently.
- Problem Solving.
- Registration with the Nova Scotia College of Nursing (NSCN) and graduate from an accredited school of nursing.
- First/Aid and CPR certification.
- Clear criminal records check.
- Compassion, empathy and experience working with and/or for seniors.
- Highly motivated and able to work independently.
- Ability to read, write, and speak English as to be understood effectively.
- Willingness to perform routine, repetitive tasks on a continuous basis.
- Ability to work effectively with others and have good interpersonal skills.
- High level of sound and independent judgment, reasoning, and discretion.
- Demonstrated adherence to the principles of confidentiality and all mandated training and ethical guidelines.
- Availability to work days, evenings, backshifts and weekends and work between 4-12 hour shifts.
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume by Friday, February 12 to:
New Dawn Homecare
Attn: Janine Hussey
P.O. Box 1055 Sydney
Nova Scotia B1P 6J7
Fax: (902) 270-8084
Email: [email protected]
Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
About New Dawn Homecare:
As Cape Breton Island’s largest private Homecare provider for more than 30 years, New Dawn Homecare provides a full range of support services in the comfort and convenience of client homes and in local hospitals and long-term care facilities: 7 days a week, 24 hours a day, and 365 days a year.
In 2019, New Dawn Homecare achieved Accreditation with Exemplary Standing in Accreditation Canada’s Qmentum program. Accreditation Canada is a national organization that sets standards for quality and safety in healthcare and accredits healthcare organizations based on how well they meet those standards. The accreditation program is recognized as best in class internationally and is designed to improve client outcomes and health system performance.