The Marketing and Communications Manager will work with the Managers of each division to ascertain their annual marketing/sales/growth needs, and will develop and execute relevant, dynamic, modern strategies to (a) connect each division with a growing audience and (b) increase the sales and/or client numbers and/or donors and/or volunteers and/or tenants of each respective division.
Of New Dawn’s nine divisions, a large part of the Marketing and Communications Manager’s efforts over the next three years will be focused on the development, execution and evaluation of the marketing needs of: New Dawn Homecare, New Dawn Meals on Wheels, A Better Bite Café and Catering, The Convent Centre for the Arts, and the Cape Breton Island Centre for Immigration as well as anticipated future fundraising initiatives. From time to time, the Marketing and Communications Manager will also be called on to support New Dawn Real Estate, New Dawn Community Engagement, and the New Dawn Guest Home and Home Living.
Finally, the Marketing and Communications Manager will be responsible for the overall communications of New Dawn Enterprises – for developing and deploying the story of New Dawn in, to, and with the Cape Breton and broader community. This includes, but is not limited to, media releases, media inquiries, New Dawn Enterprises social media, New Dawn website, New Dawn Enterprises brand development and deployment, and the New Dawn Enterprises annual report.
New Dawn Division Marketing Support
- With input from the respective division Managers on their marketing and/or communications objectives, develop annual marketing and/or communications strategies for ND Homecare, New Dawn Meals on Wheels, A Better Bite Café and Catering, The Convent Centre for the Arts, and the Cape Breton Island Centre for Immigration.
- With assistance from the respective division staff and/or managers, execute the annual marketing and/or communications strategy for New Dawn Homecare, New Dawn Meals on Wheels, A Better Bite Café and Catering, The Convent Centre for the Arts, and the Cape Breton Island Centre for Immigration.
- As needed, assist with the marketing and communications requirements of New Dawn Rental Properties, New Dawn Community Engagement, and the ND Guest Home and Home Living.
- Evaluate and adapt strategies throughout year as required, and review marketing/communications strategy performance with division Manager’s at the end of each year, prior to the development of the subsequent year’s strategy.
New Dawn Enterprises Communications
- Identify and execute opportunities to tell New Dawn’s story in various medium/forums, including, but not limited to social media (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, blogs), the New Dawn website, New Dawn newsletter, traditional media, the New Dawn annual report, and/or presentations in the community/to community and government partners.
- Maintain responsibility for the organization’s website (ensure it is up-to-date and reflective of organization’s work) and annual report.
- Working with the New Dawn Executive/Administrative Assistant, create engaging, responsive content for the New Dawn Enterprises social media sites.
- Working with the New Dawn Executive/Administrative Assistant, monitor these sites for questions, requests, suggestions, concerns, etc.
- Working with the New Dawn Executive/Administrative Assistant, coordinate workshops to enable staff and managers to oversee their day-to-day social media posts and presence; assist them as needed in their social media use and growth.
- Create and distribute or maintain a New Dawn blog and e-mail and print newsletter.
- Identify opportunities to engage the media in New Dawn’s work in the community and act on these opportunities; as required draft and issue media releases and respond to, and direct, media requests to relevant staff and/or divisions.
- Steward the use and evolution of New Dawn’s visual identity.
- Deliver, and/or contract out as needed, the graphic design requirements of the organization (posters, mail outs, reports, annual report, rack cards, invitations, social media graphics, clothing, etc.); ensure that all in-house and contracted designs are consistent with the New Dawn brand and visual identity guidelines.
- Provide marketing, communications, and graphic design support to future fundraising campaigns.
- Assist in the planning, promotion and execution of NDE events.
- Identify opportunities to improve internal communications.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Trustworthiness & Ethics
- Time Management
- Results Focus
- Self-motivated and able to work independently.
- Highly organized, able to plan and execute multiple projects simultaneously.
- Able to respond to the needs, timelines, and objectives of multiple divisions while meeting individual division deadlines and budget constraints.
- Well-developed interpersonal and communications (oral and written) skills.
- Experience and/or comfort with community engagement and conversation.
- Excellent understanding and familiarity with brand building and brand management.
- Proven track record of creating and executing successful marketing programs/campaigns.
- Familiarity with analytics and other metrics used for evaluating reach and impact of marketing / communications efforts.
- Preferred: post-secondary education in marketing, communications or public relations
- Preferred: 3-5 years experience working in a marketing management capacity
- Required: Social media planning and management experience
- Required: Communications and/or public relations experience
- Required: Graphic design skills and experience
- Long periods of sitting/concentrating
- Willingness to work evenings and weekends as needed
- Willingness to travel as needed
Salary and Benefits
Salary: $50,000-$60,000/year, commensurate with experience. Full-time, Permanent.
Medical, Dental and Life Insurance Benefits: New Dawn offers its employees cost-shared group Medical and Dental benefits provided by Great West Life Assurance. The plan also includes a component for Life Insurance, Dependent Life, Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) and Vision Care.
Self-Directed Registered Retirement Savings Plan: New Dawn offers a cost-shared self-directed RRSP plan.
Flexible Working Arrangements: New Dawn offers flexible work arrangements in service of its aspiration to recruit and retain qualified employees, recognizing the importance of work-life balance.
Professional Development: New Dawn acknowledges and is committed to the ongoing professional development and lifelong learning aspirations of its staff.
Paid Holidays: New Dawn observes twelve (12) public holidays each year: New Year’s Day, Heritage Day, Good Friday, Easter Monday, Victoria Day, Canada Day, Civic Holiday, Labour Day, Thanksgiving Day, Remembrance Day, Christmas Day, Boxing Day.
Paid Vacation: All new employees entering the organization as a salaried employee will earn 15 days of vacation during the annum and these days can be taken as earned. For each subsequent year of service, employees will earn an additional one day of vacation per calendar year.
Paid Personal Day and Paid Volunteer Day: In addition to paid vacation and sick days, each employee is entitled to one (1) paid personal day per calendar year and one (1) paid volunteer day per year.
Paid Volunteer Day.
Paid Sick Time: New dawn offers seven (7) paid sick days per year. Sick time can be carried forward to a maximum of fifteen (15) days total.
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume by Friday, February 19th at 4 pm to:
New Dawn Enterprises
Attn: Vice President of Operations
PO Box 1055
Sydney, NS B1P 6J7
E-mail: [email protected]
Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
New Dawn Enterprises
Since 1976, New Dawn has operated in the Cape Breton Regional Municipality as a not-for-profit social enterprise. New Dawn is governed by a volunteer board of directors and employs more than 135 people across its nine divisions. Today New Dawn works in the fields of housing, home care, residential care, immigration settlement, meals on wheels and food education, community engagement, community investments, and most recently, the arts.
New Dawn’s mission and vision are as relevant today as they were in 1976 and continue to guide the work of the organization. Its mission is to engage the community to create and support a culture of self-reliance and its vision is a self-reliant people in a vibrant community.